19th century pair of English hanging wall cabinets

19th century pair of English hanging wall cabinets

Code: R0080

Dimensions:H: 24.8" (63 cm)W: 18.5" (47 cm)D: 5.8" (14.7 cm)

£9,500.00 Approx $12258.06, €11085.18

An exceptional 19th century pair of English hanging wall cabinets by Town and Emanuel; in kingwood and ormolu in the French style.  The two glass shaped shelves with foliate ormolu surrounds and ormolu 'S' scrolled supports with original mirror plates behind.  The top of the base quarter veneered in kingwood with tulipwood crossbandings above a pair of doors, enclosing the original velvet lined interior; with ormolu foliate shaped panels centred with SËvres style porcelain plaques depicting cherubs, flowers and scrollwork.  The ormolu escrucheons with the face of a cherub parting with each door.  The sides of the cabinets quarter veneered in kingwood and crossbanded in tulipwood.  The shaped base with an ormolu moulding.

 

The reverse of the cabinets both with the important, large Town & Emanuel printed labels

"London / 103. New Bond Street. / Bot of Town & Emanuel / Manufacturers....' and inscribed in ink 'Rev. Canon W. Bazetey, M. A, / Matson Rectory / Gloucester"

 

Provenance Rev Canon W Bazetey, Matson Rectory, Gloucester

 

English 1830

Excellent condition

Dimensions (ins) 24.75 high; 18.5 wide; 5.75 deep

 

Town & Emanuel were known for manufacturing fine English furniture in the French style of the finest quality by 'Appointment to her Majesty'

 

Extract from 'Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840'

Town & Emanuel, listed in directories as 'dealers in & Manufacturers of antique furniture, curiosities and pictures', occupied 103 New Bond Street from c. 1830 until the sale of their 'Magnificent and Extensive Stock' by Christie's on 19 April 1849. They were inspired by the buhl revival, both manufacturing, restoring and dealing in French furniture and objets d'art. Their trade label features the arms of Queen Adelaide headed 'BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY', it also has a space for entering a date ' 183-' which is sometimes completed in ink. The main inscription reads 'London / 105, NEW BOND ST'T. / Bot ofTown & Emmanuel, / Manufacturers / OF BUHL MARQUETRIE RESNER & CARVED FURNITURE, / TRIPODS, SCREENS &c.OF THE FINEST & MOST SUPERB / DESIGNS OF THE TIMES OF LOUIS 14th. SPLENDID CABINETS / & TABLES INLAID w1TH FINE SEVRE & DRESDEN CHINA &c./ Old Paintings, Bronzes, Carvings, / Oriental & other China, Jewellery, / & Curiosities Bought & Exchanged, / Buhl & Antique Furniture Repaired'. The firm's patrons included, besides Royalty, the Duke of Buccleuch, the Duke of Buckingham and Lord Braybrooke.