Lily grew up in Hay-on-Wye on the Welsh border constantly drawing. She went on to study Illustration at the University of Wales and left with a First Class Honours. Lily continued on to do a Masters in Visual Arts at Camberwell College of Art where she studied on a Rector’s Scholarship. Graduating with a Distinction three years ago, Lily has exhibited in galleries across London. Her move to London has had an incalculable influence on her practice. She has found the city both intimidating and exciting and these feelings are evident within her paintings. Her most recent body of work is focused on journeys, transitory places where the passage of time is at its most evident: The movement of people through static places. The poignancy of this movement, has been heightened since four months spent volunteering and living in the Calais ‘Jungle.’
The work is an expression of Lily’s reaction towards people and place. Stations are drawn and redrawn as they are seen as constantly trodden paths of memories. Across the paper there is the romanticism of possibility: of journeys, new beginnings and excitement that is heavily counterbalanced by the pressures and concerns of modern-day living.
Ephemera is seen not only as the encapsulation and embodiment of the moment but also as an expression of social commentary and ideas that expand the work from the purely literal. The same can be said for the signage and other man made matter such as clothes, clocks and sculpture that punctuate London and other drawn cities.
Lily’s love of drawing is a thread running through all the works. She finds inspiration in everyday imagery and the evidence of people’s relationship to their environments.
Lily’s work is held in private collections across the UK and abroad.
– Searcy’s Club | The Gherkin -Journeys (solo show) 2016
– New York Affordable Art Fair 2016
– UNESCO 70th Anniversary, Paris. Presentation of collaborative film, talks and drawings – 2016
– Sheffield Doc Fest – 2016
– London Short Film Festival – 2016
– GX Gallery, Camberwell, London. – Contemporary Drawing and Painting – 2015
– Southwalk News interview with Michael Holland – Art In Transit – 2105
– Camberwell Arts Festival – Meet the Artists – 2015
– Collaborated on an experimental film exploring mental health by Zoe Kinross – Blue Grey. 2015
– Donated work for a charity auction in aid of Kings College Hospital, London. 2013, 2015
– Studio 73, Brixton Village, London. – Stranger. 2015
– GX Gallery, Camberwell, London. – Mixed Show. 2014
– Studio 73, Brixton Village, London. – Solo Show. 2014
– Candid Arts Trust, London. Painting and Sculpture exhibition – 2014
– Bussey Building, Peckham London. Mixed Show – 2013
-Camberwell College of Arts, Camberwell . MA Visual Arts – Distinction (Rector Scholarship) – 2013
-Beach Gallery, Shoreditch, London. Mixed Show – 2013
– Business Design Centre, London. New Designers – 2012
-University of Wales, BA Illustration – First Class Honours – 2009 – 2012